Deprived of sleep? Is strain and stress bothering you? Then it is sure that you get another reason to bother. That is dark circles. But it is not necessary that you are strained or not sleeping to get dark circles. There may be much other reason underneath it for developing dark circles. So let us see what dark circles are, causes of dark circles, and also cures or natural remedies to get rid of dark circles.
What are dark circles?
Dark circles mean a change in the color of skin under the eyes. This area lies between eyelid and the cheek bone. The circles can appear and can disappear for a few days or persist for a long period of time. Its persistence depends upon the type of skin and age. The area becomes dull, darkened and sometimes the eye area becomes hollow because of these dark circles. This is a very common problem faced in the modern era. They are sometimes embarrassing and makes you feel older.
WHAT CAUSES DARK CIRCLES?
- Lack of sleep: This is the most common cause for dark circles which can be prevented easily.
- Age: Our skin becomes thinner as we get old. Age is factor that affects dark circles. The collagen and fat around the skin is lost in the aging process. This is a natural tendency of the skin.
- Sunlight: Over exposure to sunlight can hamper the production of melanin which can lead to dark circles.
- Genetics: Dark circles can sometimes appear from childhood because of the hereditary nature. Some of them will outgrow it most but others will not.
- Lifestyle: Excessive drinking, smoking and use of cocaine can lead to the formation of dark circles.
- Anemia: Low iron levels in the body causes anemia or iron deficiency. This is one of the reasons for dark circles under the eyes. Having a proper balanced diet including green leafy vegetables, milk and milk products and citrus fruits can reduce dark circles.
- Fatigue: A person is likely to get dark circles if he is tired and over worked.
- Stress: Stress is a major reason for dark circles. Stress can due to many reasons like marital issues, work related issues, pregnancy and so on.
- Over sleeping: A normal person needs to get atleast 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep during the night. Sleeping for more hours during the day and night can cause dark circles.
- Liver disorder: Dark circles can be a symptom for liver dysfunction which can be medically diagnosed.
- Vitamin deficiency: Vitamin deficiencies can be a reason for dark circles. This can be cured by having a balanced diet or by having supplements after consulting a dermatologist.
- Hormonal imbalance: Hormonal imbalances during menstruation, menopause and pregnancy can cause dark circles.
HOW CAN WE GET RID OF DARK CIRCLES ? ( Natural Remedies)
- Lemon juice: Mix some freshly squeezed lemon juice with a lit bit of tomato juice and apply for about 10 minutes. Apply this mix twice daily.
- Potato: Grate fresh potato and mash it. Blend it with cucumber juice and apply 2-3 times a day for desired results.
- Almond oil: Almond oil is considered as the best home remedy for dark circles. Massage this oil under the eyes gently for a few minutes before going to bed. Wash it off the next morning with warm water. This procedure can be done on a daily basis.
- Under eye pack-
- Tomato juice: 1tbsp
- Lemon juice: 2tbsp
- Turmeric: 1pinch
- Vitamin E: 1capsule
- Almond oil: few drops
- Oatmeal: 1tbsp powdered
Mix all the above mentioned ingredients and make it into a fine paste. Apply this under the eyes daily until it’s dry. Wash off gently with warm water.
- Green tea bags: Green tea bags are rich in antioxidants and contain tannins. Both these substances help to reduce dark circles, swelling and puffiness under the eyes. Boil 2 tea bags in a cup of water for a few minutes and refrigerate the tea bags in the freezer. Place these tea bags above the eyes for 10-15 minutes. Repeat daily.
- Rose water: Rose water has a property to lighten the skin, gives a natural glow and is rich in antioxidants. Applying rose water twice daily enhances the natural look of the skin thus reducing dark circles.
- Mint leaves: Some of the properties of mint leaves are; it’s antiseptic, antibacterial and acts as an astringent. Crush a few fresh mint leaves and apply under the dark circles or blend lime juice and mint leaves to make a smooth paste and apply for about 10 minutes. Wash off with warm water. This gives a soothing and cooling effect to the eyes.
- Castor oil: Mix a few drops of castor oil and vitamin E oil and massage gently and leave it overnight. Wash with warm water in the morning.
- Yogurt: Mix yogurt and a pinch of fresh turmeric to make a smooth paste and apply in the affected area. Leave for 10-15 minutes and wash off gently. This can be repeated daily until we get the desired results.
Dark circles can easily be hidden with the help of a good make up. You will have to focus on the under eye makeup and also the eye lashes, and the eye lids. This is the best effective method to appear with confidence even when dark circles are bothering you.
All the above mentioned home remedies are not scientifically proven but are benefited over due course of time. These have no side effects either. Apart from these home remedies there are chemical treatments and creams that are expensive and harmful to the skin.