Dandruff, a very common nightmare. It is very common in today’s life as it spreads widely. It is one of the main causes of hair loss. Let us learn in depth about dandruff now. This post discuss about the following with emphasis on the following:
WHAT IS DANDRUFF
Dandruff is a common scalp disorder in which dead skin sheds from the scalp. It causes itching and affects more than half the population and of any sex and age. According to the latest study, the two types of bacteria that promote dandruff are Propionibacterium and Staphylococcus. Its severity changes during different seasons and hair texture. Dandruff is not a serious contagious medical issue. It is more of an embarrassment due to its flakiness and can be treated easily. Another positive sign is that dandruff can be controlled by using mild cleanses regularly while cleaning the scalp and stubborn dandruff can be controlled by using medicated shampoos.
WHAT CAUSES DANDRUFF?
- Irregular shampooing of hair: Irregular shampooing of hair causes accumulation of dirt and dust on the scalp which in turn helps the dandruff to grow.
- Oily skin: This is one of the common reasons for dandruff. The oily or greasy skin gets covered by white flakes. The oiliness in the skin triggers dandruff. It also acts as manure for the dandruff. This condition can also be termed as Seborrheic Dermatitis. This can also affect other oily areas like eyebrows, back of the ears and sometimes sides of the nose.
- Fungal infection: Fungal infections of the skin in the scalp like Tinea Capitis causes dandruff.
- Psoriasis: Psoriasis is another reason for dandruff which causes flakes in the skin. It is a chronic disease that affects the immune system.
- Dry skin: This is the one of the most common cause for dandruff. Flakes arise from dry skin which results in dandruff.
- Eczema: Eczema causes scalp itching and flakiness. This is common among babies and children. This can be treated by proper medication.
- Sensitivity to hair products: Sometimes, people are sensitive to certain contents of hair dye products or hair care products which can lead to flaky scalp and itching. This will eventually lead to dandruff.
WHAT ARE THE REMEDIES FOR DANDRUFF?
- Coconut oil: Massage warm coconut oil on to the scalp for about 10-15 minutes. Leave it for another 30 minutes. Wash off with mild cleanser or anti-dandruff shampoo. Repeat this process every week. Coconut oil is not only good to remove dandruff but also nourishes the hair and helps the hair to grow.
- Aloe Vera: This is one of the best remedies for dandruff. Apply aloe vera gel on to the scalp and leave for about 20-25 minutes. Wash off with mild antidandruff shampoo. This can be done once a week.
- Lemon juice: Mix lemon juice and yogurt and apply in the scalp. Leave it for about 15 minutes and wash off with mild shampoo. This can be repeated twice a week. Lemon has antiseptic properties that reduce itching and yogurt moisturizes dry scalp.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek is common ingredient in Indian cooking. This plant is packed with amino acid and protein. This plant contains natural emollient which gives a natural glow to the hair and keeps it healthy. Soak a table spoon of fenugreek overnight and grind it to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste in the scalp and leave it for half an hour. Wash off in cold water or mild shampoo.
- Tea tree oil: This is the most popular home remedies for dandruff. Apply tea tree oil on the scalp and massage gently. Wash it off after 30 minutes with tea tree shampoo for desired results.
- Apple cedar vinegar: Mix equal quantities of water and apple cedar vinegar and apply on to the scalp. Leave for 15 minutes and wash off with mild anti-dandruff shampoo in cold water. The vinegar in apple cedar helps to kill the bacteria and fungus in the scalp keeping the scalp healthy.
- Neem leaves: Wash neem leaves in water and grind it with water or olive oil and massage in the scalp. Leave it for about 20 minutes and wash off with mild anti-dandruff shampoo. These leaves have antiseptic properties that fight dandruff.
All the above mentioned are home remedies are not scientifically proven but are effective if done over a period of time. But the assurance here is that it has no side effects because all the ingredients are natural. Apart from these, there are other medical treatments also. To conclude, washing and cleaning hair regularly keeps dandruff away. As the saying goes “prevention is better than cure”.